What crazy weather we have been having! I hope you have been able to enjoy some of that wonderful snow we have been getting!
Now with the new start of the year… here are some things we have been up to in our classroom.
Language Arts – In reading we are focusing on non-fiction/informational texts. We have talked about the text features that appear in non-fiction books such as captions, diagrams, and photographs. We will be using these skills starting this week and next to begin our biography project. Each child will choose a book based on a person they are interested in and will begin reading and researching about their life, including timeline, important facts, character traits, and new vocabulary.
In writing, we have begun our class book project! Students have chosen a topic (what they want to be when they grow up) and are now in the beginning stages of composing their piece. When finished with each stage and rewrite after rewrite, we will have our book sent off to get published! More information will come at conferences next month about how you can get your own copy!
Math – We are finishing up chapter 2 and will take our test THIS Friday on place value. Next week we will dive into subtraction strategies, including how to regroup/borrow with double digit subtraction.
Science – We are going to begin learning about different states of matter (liquid, gas, solid).
Social Studies – Anchorage’s foundation as a city in 1915 and Alaska’s statehood, beginning with the purchase from Russia in the 1800s.
1. Variety Show – This is a huge event for our entire school that will be held over by Starbucks at the theater. Our class will be performing a song entitled, “Fill Your Bucket”. There is also an opportunity to participate in a silent auction to help support our school. Our grade level has decided to put together a basket focusing on the theme “Alaska”. Any and all donations are welcome, including any AK souvenirs, ulus, shirts, postcards, playing cards, etc.
2. SEL Assembly – Our class will be performing at the SEL Assemby on February 6 beginning at 9:00 in the MPR. The assembly will last about 20 minutes and our class will be singing “Fill Your Bucket”, focusing on doing kind acts for others.
3. Book Orders – Book orders will go out this week. If interested in ordering, please go to Scholastic’s Reading Club website. Our class code is LD3NV. Orders will be submitted on Friday, February 10.
4. Snow Day! – Our entire school will be having Snow Day on February 3. This is a great family event so all family members are welcome to join. Second graders will participate in snow day in the afternoon (usually 1:15ish to dismissal). More information will be coming home soon.
5. Seussical – Second graders are now learning songs for “Seussical, the Musical”. This is a fun show that second graders will be performing for the entire school during the first several days in March. Families are welcome to attend the assembly to watch all their hard work pay off! More information will be coming on this as well including specific date (usually end of first week in March) and time (late afternoon).
6. Parent Teacher Conferences – Conferences will be February 21-24. It will be similar to last October where you will be able to go online and schedule a time that works (with the exception of students who have siblings who attend Ursa Major in which case they will be prescheduled to ensure they are back to back conferences).
7. No School on February 20 for President’s Day.